Making a Nintendo Switch Case | DIY Tutorial


We needed a carrying case for the Nintendo
Switch, so I decided to see if I could make one myself. I started by making the top and the bottom
of the case. I cut two plastic pieces to act as a protective
layer inside the case, and I cut them slightly bigger than the outer size of the Switch. This will also be the shape and size of the
case. I then cut the fabric layers for the top and
bottom, and first up are two layers of quilt batting that are the same size as the plastic pieces. Then I made a pattern for the other pieces
by adding 1,5 centimeters of seam allowance all the way around the sides. For the outside layer, I cut a red and a white
piece of water resistant fabric. For the inside, I cut two layers of soft fleece
fabric. The top and the bottom are each a sandwich
of the outer water resistant layer, the protective plastic, the quilt batting and the inner fleece layer. Before assembling the top and bottom, I added straps and pockets to the inside layers. For the bottom piece, I cut four pieces of
elastic, which will be connected in the middle by velcro. I used a lighter to finish the edges of the
elastic, and then I folded over a small edge on each of the pieces and stitched it down. I then stitched pieces of velcro to the elastic. I checked where I wanted the straps to be
placed and stitched them down to the sides of the fleece. For the top, I wanted a place to hold the
controller straps, so I cut another piece of elastic, folded over the edges and stitched
them down, and I then attached the elastic to the fleece. I also want pockets to hold six game cartridges. I figured out the configuration and I cut
two pieces of elastic. After folding the edges over and stitching
them down, I pinned the pieces on the fleece and sewed along the bottom and sides. I then marked the size of the individual pockets
and stitched lines to separate them. Now I’m ready to assemble the top and the
bottom. To keep the plastic and the batting in place
while I make the rest of the case, I’m using a temporary spray adhesive that I have left
over from when I made a quilt. I sprayed the layers and sandwiched them all
together. First the fleece, then the batting, the plastic
and finally the water resistant fabric. I then sewed all the way around to keep everything
in place. To make the sides, I started by adding side
pieces to the zipper. I cut two 5 centimeter wide pieces of black
water resistant fabric that are just as long as the zipper. I then placed the zipper right sides together
on one of the strips and sewed all the way along the edge. I flipped the fabric over and top-stitched
it down on the zipper to make it lie nice and flat. I used pinking shears to finish the edges
of the fabric to prevent it from fraying. I then repeated these steps on the other side
of the zipper. I cut a piece of black fleece and a piece
of black water resistant fabric of the same size. These pieces will form the back of the case,
with the zipper forming the rest of the sides. As an extra buffer I’m adding a layer of
fleece to the inside of the sides. I cut two strips of fleece that are 5 centimeters
wide and can reach all the way around the case. I folded them in half and stitched them down
close to the edge. I then placed them on the inside of the zipper,
so that they completely cover the teeth, and stitched them in place. For the back, I put the outside piece of fabric
right sides together with the zipper and stitched it down. Remember to go slow when you sew across a
zipper to make sure you don’t damage your needle or your machine. I then placed the fleece right sides together
with the inside of the zipper and stitched it down in the same place. I cut off the excess fabric and zipper. I measured the outside of the case pattern
to make the sides to size. I marked the correct length and cut the zipper
to the right size. I then folded the ends of the back inside
and placed the zipper end in between, making a full circle. I stitched it down close to the edge. Now I’m ready to assemble the case. I used clips to attach the side to the top,
right sides together. Along the way, it started pulling itself into
its 3D shape. I sewed all the way around, following the
3D shape as best as I could. Now it’s really starting to look like something! I folded the nylon binding around the inside
seam to cover it up and to give the case some strength. I sewed it in place all the way around. This step was pretty tricky, since the case
was really holding on to that 3D shape now. So I went slow and I made sure I sewed threw the binding on both sides. A test fit showed it was all looking good,
so I moved on to attaching the bottom in the same way. First, I clipped the pieces together and sewed
them in place. And then I added the binding. The clips are really working great here, since there’s no way I could’ve been able to stick pins through all these thick layers of fabric. Now I can flip the case the right side out. And it’s done! And that’s how I made my Nintendo Switch
case. Or actually, my husband’s Nintendo Switch
case. But he’s very happy with it. If you enjoyed this video, or if you learned
something new, then leave me a like or a comment down below, and of course remember to subscribe
if you want to see my future videos. I’ll see you next time. Bye!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *